Sunday 4 May 2014

Freezing Cold & Furniture!

Here I am, reporting in from the South Pole!! Well ... that's what it FEELS like! SIGH!!! it's not even a week into May, the last month of autumn and winter has queue-jumped a few weeks to show up early ... how RUDE! It got down to about 2 degrees Celsius overnight here on top of our 'hill'. The gas heater has been hauled out of storage into the lounge room and fired up. My Beloved Geek Boy and I are considering moving into the lounge room and living in a doona-and-lounge-chair cubby until spring shows up! Don't laugh ... we might just do it! :0)

Add to the nasty cold temperatures some horrible gale-force winds and you can imagine that two hot-weather-ducks are NOT happy. About the only plus that we've come up with (besides a really good excuse to dag around in jeans, pullover and ugg boots!) is that the horrible winds are preventing small planes from doing to much taking off and landing. Air noise isn't usually a concern for us, but there was a classic air event planned for today and that always brings out the Snoopy in me ...


Curse you, Red Baron!! Tee! Hee! Hee!

GB and I have made ONE foray out into the cold, though. We bundled up and set out on a special mission. Do you remember almost 12 months ago, I told you we were renovating our dining room? 

We covered up these weatherboards (our dining room was once upon a time a covered verandah thingy housing the outdoor loo ... happy to say there's indoor plumbing these days!!) and we painted. Then things went on hold while we saved our pennies to have new vinyl laid ... THAT was a drama and a half!! I haven't shared any pics of that, as we had been trying to get the flooring company to replace faulty vinyl ... with no success to date ... GRRR! Don't you hate it when you pay 'professionals' to do a job and it's shoddy?! If you're buying vinyl or carpet in Toowoomba, ask me which business to AVOID!!! But ... moving on ... I shared with you pics when we refurbished our 'new' dining table ...

... from this to rescued beauty ...

... to this ravishing refurbishment. Aaaaaahhh! And ...Aargh!! You can see the old dining room vinyl there ... I'd forgotten how dark it looked. So we had a lovely French-style dining table ... but no chairs. Here, I have to confess that when it comes to dining, GB and I are of the non-conformist, bohemian school of dining ... ie. we're lazy slugs who eat in the lounge room, balancing our plates on our knees! :0) We really only use the table when we have guests ... or my Mum and Dad are here. ;0) But ... I had a plan ... and after squirreling away some Christmas and birthday money, I put in an order for some chairs ... which after much anticipation, came home yesterday ... wanna see???

Ta Da! One French-inspired chair! Can I say, these chairs weren't overly expensive, were made locally AND ... they're really comfy to sit on! The stain on the seat and back are a very close match to the table top, which is great and they're good and sturdy. We've been using fold-up director's chairs as dining chairs for years after our 'proper' dining chairs fell apart due to their bad design not surviving the normal wear and tear of use. Do you see that lovely fresh black and white checker board vinyl? We're loving the look and the way it works with the room ... shame about a couple of flaws that the company won't acknowledge or do anything about AND the damage done to the freshly painted walls during the installation ... GRRRR!!

Two new chairs gracing the dining room. I love how they look. We only ordered two at this point due to budgetary constraints and being uncertain whether four chairs would make our small walk-through dining room too cluttered ... they are a standard item for the company where I had them made, so we can always get more in the future, but ... I'm still considering the possibilities. I'm thinking I might stick with the two and add something like this ...


I'm thinking I'll get two or four of these, paint them white and have them folded up on hand for extra seating ... or to just look pretty! :0)

The dining room isn't completely finished yet ... there still needs to be some skirting board put in place (that's been on hold while we see if the flooring company would fix the problems they left us with ... GRRR!) and I'm still on the look out for nice wall art ... I'm sticking with black and white to match the flooring, maybe with a pop of red, as red is the accent colour in the lounge room and kitchen that adjoins the dining room and carrying through a bit of a French theme. I'm also thinking of a cafe curtain/drape/swag to soften the look of the timber blind on the window ... I have something in mind for that, just have to wait til it's available, but I promise to share. I LOVE to decorate and make our house a welcoming, cosy space to hang out and relax ... if only I didn't have champagne tastes on a mineral water budget! Tee! Hee! Hee!

So ... that's about all that's happening for us here at the 'fridge on the ridge' as Toowoomba gets called. It's climbed to a massive 13 degrees here now ... SHEESH! I am NOT looking forward to winter really arriving, if this is what autumn is like!!! Hope you're all enjoying your weekend ... OPAMers ... Sweet Peg and I have done our blog hopping, but you still have a day to email finishes through to one of us to go on the spreadsheet before Sweet Peg does the prize draw ... remember to always check in with BOTH of us, as we take turn about ... and check back over past winner announcements, cos there's a few gals who haven't emailed snail mail addresses to have their prizes sent.

OK ... I'm off to have a mug of something yummy and warm to fortify me for a trip outside to hang the washing ... BRRRR!! Mind you ... with the gale force winds, I may be picking up my sheets and towels in Brisbane ... Toni ... keep an eye out! Tee! Hee! Hee! Then, I think I'm curling up in front of the heater with some stitching and a DVD ... hmmm ... Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries, Death In Paradise, Midsomer Murders ... so many favourites to choose from! :0) Til next time ...

(Aaaah ... the fun you can have with Photoshop effects! :0) )


BRRRRRR BEAR HUGS!

CHEERS!
KRIS









10 comments:

Chookyblue...... said...

winter sure is here..........yesterday was freezing and today not much better........colder then you though...nice to have a change of season and I know we get so few days like this I enjoy them.....couldn't stand it all the time........slow cooker is cooking dinner for me right now.......comfort food yummo......nice chairs.......

Outback Crafter - Debra said...

Ahh wonderful Qld weather Kris. Beautiful one day, ?? The next. We have been feeling it out in Roma too. I Think the whole state is in shock.

Your dining furniture looks lovely as does the concept of the flooring. Good luck with that company.

Do they realise the power for evil you have being a blogger (Insert evil laugh here).

Debra

Elizabeth said...

Love the dining suite and the black and white vinyl flooring is really nice. The other chair you showed, how comfortable are they with that big gap in the back? The temperatures have dropped gere in Auckland New Zealand, but also very changeable. You just don't know what to wear when you get up in the morning. It was cool here this morning, but an hour later I had to change as
I was too hot. Nyou seem to be feeling it worse than us. Stay warm and cosy

Elizabeth said...

You should tell that company that your word of mouth is their advertising and that you have alot of friends in blog land!!!!!!

Christine said...

Beautiful new chairs!
This housework avoider recommends sticking to 2 chairs with others you can pull out as needed. Far less legs to sweep around! I love the black and white checkerboard floor too. Overall a very inviting room.

Marilyn said...

I love the effect you are achieving, but BOO to the shoddy workmanship and lack of accountability. I like the sound of Christine's reasoning for 2 chairs. hehe. I am with you on the cold weather. Not as cold here as you have but still way too cold for me. Bring on summer I say. (at the risk of being shouted down by quite a few bloggy friends.)

Anne-Lise at Rag, Tag, Bobtail said...

Cheer up - we are happily enjoying spring, which means anything from -2 (yes, minus) to + 12 - which is like your autumn :-) I planted a few pansies, carnations and marigolds outside - and the marigolds didn't like the night temperature so I will have to replace them when (if) we get warmer weather :-)
Love the chairs - just what I want!

KimM said...

Love the refurbishing - you are so amazing!! Try to stay warm - clutching a cup of tea always helps me :)

Janice said...

Oh how I wish we had your weather problems. We are now in our 8th straight month with snow. In the past 36 hours we have had over a foot of snow!! Thankfully, it isn't too cold, -6C so during the day the roads are fairly clear. It gets pretty bad in the evenings though-slush then ice. Where is Spring?!!!
I love your dining room table and chairs, fits in so well with the rest of the room.
Hope it doesn't get too cold for you. Happy sewing!

KERYN B said...

Love the chairs Kris your room looks fabulous.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...